written by Jane Hendry
Cashew nuts get a raw deal… and you’ll love it
Raw deals are not all they’re cracked up to be, either. When it comes to food, raw should be dealt more often.
One of the great things about creating delectable cuisine from raw foods, is that you can’t do it without being healthy. All sorts of fruits can be used to make something sweet, nuts create crunch, and of course secret ingredients always ensure young and old get a rounded diet, while feeling spoiled.
It’s not just about flavour
It has not been hard for science to prove that cooking changes the chemical make-up of foods, as well as destroying many of the nutrients that are found in raw whole foods. One of the reasons we actually cook food is a hang over from days gone by, before fridges existed, when people cooked food to kill the germs on it. Now that we can keep food cold in our homes – and are less inclined to eat germ-ridden foods since we can simply pop to the nearest supermarket to replenish our stocks – cooking it is no longer necessary.
Raw foods help keep us healthy because:
- they help keep our bodies alkaline by giving us electrons, which we need for everything our bodies do
- they help us to eliminate toxins
- they are not full of processed additives
- they only contain natural sugars
- there is a diverse range of nutrients in any given dish of more than one ingredient
- they ensure our digestive system works as efficiently as possible, which
- ensures our brains also work efficiently, keeping us happy, calm and concentrating.
Eating raw doesn’t mean boring, unappetising food, either. In fact, it often means pudding for breakfast!
Here at Natural Convenience, we are huge fans of cheesecake. We just love making it, and eating it. You will too, when you know how delicious and nutrient-dense it is.
Our favourite recipes are for chocolate hazelnut cheesecake – because, well chocolate, really… and hazelnuts.
Our other fave is our Raw Raspberry and Strawberry Cashew Nut Cheesecake. You can check out the make at homes kits right here. And once you’ve made it, take a picture and tag us at #naturalconvenience we would love to see your creations and share them with our community.