written by Andrea Arcuino
For those wanting to live a longer and healthier life- coconut oil should be the next thing on your hit list! It has so many health benefits! It has heaps of medium-chain triglycerides which make it a super healthier alternative for cooking oil – WAIT…medium-chain try-glycer-what?! Confused about this incredibly long word? Read on…
Why use coconut oil instead of other oils?
So… why should we change the oil we use- what’s wrong with vegetable oil or canola oil? The main reason as to why coconut oil is a healthier choice is because it’s made up of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA’s) or medium-chain triglycerides (MCT’s). These type of fatty acids give coconut oil its superfood properties. Other vegetable oils, which contain long-chain fatty acids (LCFA’s) or long-chain triglycerides (LCT’s), don’t contain MCT’s and therefore don’t have these superfood properties found in coconut oil.
Why are medium-chain triglycerides so awesome?
Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, the medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil is more easily digested due to it being smaller in length and used as an energy source. This means it won’t be stored as fat. Whereas, the long-chain fatty acids found in vegetable oils are hard to digest and because of this, they will be more likely be stored as fat.
The Superfood Properties of Coconut Oils…
– Gives you luscious hair– when used as a conditioner, it helps make your hair super shiny and assists in hair growth!
– Prevents heart disease – contains lauric acid, which is known to stop heart problems like high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels (as it increases the amount of good cholesterol and decreases the amount of bad cholesterol)
– Anti-ageing properties – when applied on your body, it helps moisturise your skin. This prevents dryness or flaky skin. It also helps slow the process of wrinkles or saggy skin making you look younger for longer!
– Boosts metabolism – because the medium-chain triglycerides found in coconut oil is more likely to be used as energy than be stored as fat, it also gives your metabolism more energy too!
– Fights off sickness – helps destroy any harmful toxins such as bacteria, fungi and viruses known to cause disease, strengthening your immunity!
– Makes digestion easier– can help with digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, bloating. It’s also said to have ‘antimicrobial’ properties and this means it can help get rid of nasty tummy bugs and other parasites, which are responsible for poor digestion.
At Natural Convenience, coconut oil is used in most of our homemade kits due to its superfood properties. Why not try our Bliss Balls kits; Fruity Granola kits; a Raw Cheesecake or our Seeded Bread mixes to get your coconut oil superfood fix. All our products are super charged with nutritional goodness.
Don’t forget that we love seeing your creations, so take a picture and tag us at #naturalconvenience so we can share it with our community.